For those of you who don’t know, a zombedy combines the horror of zombies with the hilarity of a comedy. The end result is often something fun and memorable for even casual fans of either genre. There’s no better way to get through the zombie apocalypse than with a laugh or two.
Honorable mention – Doghouse (2009), Dead Alive (1992), and Dead Set (2008).
5) Cooties (2014) – This is the most recent film on the list. It’s about a group of summer school teachers who have to survive the first day of summer school after a tainted chicken nugget infects one of their students. Only pre-pubescent kids are affected, and even a baby gets in on the face chewing fun. Rainn Wilson is hilarious as the over the top macho gym teacher. This film won’t be out on home video until December but you can watch it on demand.
4) Cockneys Versus Zombies (2012) – This film follows two brothers as they try and rob a bank in order to save the old folk’s home where their tough as nails granddad lives. What sets Cockneys Versus Zombies apart is the old folks. The director has fun pitting them against the undead in various ways. In one scene, an older gentleman falls asleep outside. He wakes up after the zombies arrive and him trying to race back to the home before the shambling undead is pretty funny. Yes, this film is often over the top, but that’s what makes it so much fun, for fuck’s sake!
3) Zombieland (2009) – What makes Zombieland work so well is the interaction between Columbus (Jesse Eisenberg) and Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson). The writers poke fun at pop culture in fun and intelligent ways. Their zombie kill of the week bit always brings a smile to my face. Emma Stone plays a badass con woman which is a refreshing departure from what she normally plays. A cameo by Bill Murray, who plays himself, is also memorable. Anyone got a Twinkie?
2) Return of the Living Dead (1985) – This film broke the zombie rules back in the mid-eighties. These zombies talk, think, and need to eat your brains! Frank and Freddy are two dimwitted and bumbling security guards at a medical supply company who find a strange drum. They eventually damage it and unleash a military experiment, yeah it’s a zombie, who hungers for brains. Even though this film is often times downright silly, the humor is what drives the plot. One of my favorite scenes is when the zombies grab a police radio and call for more cops. They’re still hungry. Later more cops arrive and are immediately surrounded by the hungry undead. If you haven’t seen this film, you’re missing out.
1) Shaun of the Dead (2004) – What can I say about this film that hasn’t already been said? You’ve got a bit of red on you! Shaun is a normal guy who works his life away at a dead end job until the dead rise and he’s presented with a chance to do something epic with his life. And all he wants to do is get his on and off again girlfriend to safety…at his favorite pub. What makes this film work so well is the perfect balance between laughs and horror. The writers and director really nailed it. For most horror, and zombie fans, Shaun of the Dead is a film they keep going back to time and time again. I know I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve seen it and I still keep coming back for more.
What are some of your favorite zombedies? Which films would you have included on this list? Sound off in the comments below.